Ear Infections & Pain
Ear Infections and Pain
Ear infections are one of the most common reasons patients come to After Hour Pediatrics. An exam by an experienced pediatrician is important to determine if the pain is caused by a middle ear infection, an outer ear infection or Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.
A: Yes, we do. And it’s always surprising to see what will come out of those little ear canals!
- High fever
- Severe pain that doesn’t respond to pain relievers
- Recurrent ear infections
- Drainage from the ear
- Ear is painful to touch
A: Not all ear infections need antibiotic treatment. For children with mild ear infections, sometimes a “watch and wait” approach is the best. Our experienced pediatricians can partner with you to make that decision. We do recommend antibiotic treatment for young children with high fevers or severe ear infections.
A: Yes. Swimmer’s ear can be treated with prescription ear drops and preventive ear drops.
We are a family-friendly children’s urgent care and minor emergency center in downtown San Mateo
For over 20 years, we have provided pediatric urgent medical care to babies, children and young adults from San Mateo, Burlingame, Millbrae, San Bruno, San Carlos, Belmont, Redwood City, and Foster City. The clinic is staffed by Board Certified pediatricians, is easy to find, and has parking right outside the door.
Our clinic is open for Urgent Care after hours when your child’s doctor is often unavailable. Just walk in or make an appointment!
Questions & Answers
A: We treat Urgent Care patients from birth to age 26. We test all ages for COVID. If we are very busy, we give younger children priority and may ask the young adult to be seen in Adult Urgent Care.
A: You should come to After Hour Pediatrics if your child requires urgent care when your pediatrician or primary care physician’s office is closed. We are a convenient and affordable alternative to the Emergency Room. If the injury or illness is life-threatening, you should go to the nearest hospital.
We are open 365 days a year, Monday-Friday 5pm -10pm and Weekends/Holidays 10am-10pm.
If you are in doubt about whether to come and visit us please call us at 650-579-6581
A: The typical visit requires 30 -60 minutes depending on the services you need. If you need lab tests, breathing treatments or a procedure performed, you may be in the office for longer. During surge of illnesses or patients with emergencies, wait times can be longer.
A: COVID-19 Testing is by appointment only.
For Urgent Care, you can “Save a Spot” or drop in. We see walk in patients in the order that they arrive with exceptions for critically ill children or those at high-risk. We do our best to see “Saved Spots” on time, and always leave openings for walk in patients.
- We believe sick or injured children should be seen by a pediatrician. Other urgent care facilities may have pediatric rooms or areas designated for children, but they are not staffed with clinicians who have specialized training in pediatrics.
- We are ideally located in downtown San Mateo, 10 minutes from San Francisco airport.
- We offer free parking right outside our front door.
- We are child friendly, caring, compassionate and gentle.
- We will work with your child’s primary physician, informing them about your visit and ensuring they are fully briefed about your child’s medical situation as soon as possible.
- We are independently run so you can talk to us about financial pressures. We might be able to help.